Upgrade to 2.19.0 and maintain root?

dubbedout

Upgrade to 2.19.0 and maintain root?

Postby dubbedout » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:21 am

Has anyone tried upgrading to this newest firmware version yet? I read somewhere that there was a change to one of the partitions. Would like to upgrade to get rid of the annoying [FIRMWARE] added to the name of all my Wink devices on the Vera.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CloneNum3
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade to 2.19.0 and maintain root?

Postby CloneNum3 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:49 am

dubbedout wrote:Has anyone tried upgrading to this newest firmware version yet? I read somewhere that there was a change to one of the partitions. Would like to upgrade to get rid of the annoying [FIRMWARE] added to the name of all my Wink devices on the Vera.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both the OS and the Update partition will be upgraded. I was able to simply update via the app and had no issues with the upgrade. It appears once you have the /database/ENABLE_SSH and SSH keys in place that wink does not do anything to remove the SSH.

I am running 2.19.0 and upgrade version 0.10 and still have SSH. I have simply clicked the upgrade button in the app through the last several updates without issue maintaining root.

-CloneNum3

Jonesie

Postby Jonesie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:35 pm

I performed the upgrade this afternoon using the app. I still have root access via SSH, which is good, but now I don't have a /var/www/ in which to put set_dev_value.php.

Any idea? I'll keep poking at it.

Thanks - Jonesie

livin

Postby livin » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Jonesie wrote:I performed the upgrade this afternoon using the app. I still have root access via SSH, which is good, but now I don't have a /var/www/ in which to put set_dev_value.php.

Any idea? I'll keep poking at it.

Thanks - Jonesie

Same issue here... you figure it out?

Jonesie

Postby Jonesie » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:38 am

I've restored my aprontest access via SSH using the following link, but it is MUCH slower than the HTTP access via set_dev_value.php.

Is there a better way to do this? There is a pretty significant lag using SSH vs. the former HTTP method.

https://www.reddit.com/r/winkhub/commen ... t_locally/

Thanks - Jonesie

Jonesie

Postby Jonesie » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:38 pm

No ideas? I'm having trouble getting this working reliably with SSH.

Thanks - Jonesie

Jonesie

Postby Jonesie » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:54 am

It looks like Wink MAY be in the process of implementing local control to the hub. From what I've read and tinkered with, I don't think this is fully implemented yet, but here's a start:

https://www.reddit.com/r/winkhub/commen ... intenance/

nodejs

Postby nodejs » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:02 pm

Well, according to their changelog - it's fully or mostly implemented; but it's disabled out of the box. I've made the patch to enable the API server, /opt/local_control/server.js change line 22 to:

Code: Select all

, start              : 'wifi,aau,heartbeat'

/opt/local_control/README.md then gives instructions on how to add an auth token to /database/local_control_data/config.json

Losing the php-enabled web server was a slight disappointment, but I think gaining a native install of node.js and a dedicated API server more than makes up for it. Clearly the server is more intended for use by the phone apps; but the fact that they've written the source code in a human-readable scripting language, made it RESTful and provided some documentation... it definitely makes life easier for us hackers.

Want a web server back? Easy enough to do with Node.

Return to “Upgrade to current firmware maintaining root”