Rooting ANY firmware level... the hard way

shelzmike

Re: Rooting ANY firmware level... the hard way

Postby shelzmike » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:30 pm

I know this is an older post, so I am hoping I get a few responses.

For starters, this is my first foray with the Wink Hub and I will confirm that this process STILL does work perfectly! (Hardest part is the NAND grounding). I just purchased a hub off Amazon so it is brand new, though I haven't yet figured out how to find out what firmware I have.

That being said, I do have a couple follow on questions, essentially related to "Now What"?

1.) How do I determine what firmware version I have currently?

2.) I rooted this hub as soon as I took it out of the box, I did nothing else. I have SSH access as root. I edited the wpa_supplicant.conf file before reboot and it connected via WiFi (also, fixed the code in S31platform that deletes the supplicant file each time - very important!).

I have a solid yellow light, so my question is - now what do I need to do? I plan on using this as a local bridge with OpenHAB, so not direct internet connection will be required. Thanks again for the awesome writeup! Honestly one of the best tutorials on subjects like this I have come across.

Mike

nepto

Re: Rooting ANY firmware level... the hard way

Postby nepto » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:40 am

shelzmike wrote:1.) How do I determine what firmware version I have currently?

Not sure if there is a better way, but this is what I use. You need to have ubi1:database mounted on /database (should be automatic) and then look at those files:

Code: Select all

/database/cf_build
/database/cf_ver2
/database/cf_ver3

File /database/cf_ver3 should match your firmware.

shelzmike wrote:I have a solid yellow light, so my question is - now what do I need to do? I plan on using this as a local bridge with OpenHAB, so not direct internet connection will be required. Thanks again for the awesome writeup! Honestly one of the best tutorials on subjects like this I have come across.

This is very interesting and it is exactly how I planned to give an OpenHAB a try. Hopefully you will share your experience with us in this forums -- probably in new dedicated topic.

Return to “Upgrade to current firmware maintaining root”