ACTION REQUIRED: Your Wink Hub needs to be replaced

CloneNum3
Site Admin

Re: ACTION REQUIRED: Your Wink Hub needs to be replaced

Postby CloneNum3 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:22 pm

I have about 11 hubs which I've been playing with, only a few of which were likely plugged in at the time (not all at the same location), the one that was plugged in was hit. I'm investigating what exactly went wrong but I think this was just a glitch on Wink's part and not aimed at rooting users. I'll post a fix for rooted hubs once I find out what exactly happened.

-Clonenum3

Jonesie

Postby Jonesie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:55 pm

I'm running 0.77 and I was hit as well. I bet they made some change on their end that conflicted with a certain version of the firmware and up.

[EDIT]
Actually, just went to manually update min fallowing the instructions here, and it failed. I forgot to comment out the Wink update servers 127.0.0.1 in my /etc/hosts file. Opened it up and they weren't there. Just localhost and flex-dvt. I wonder if THIS is what they broke?

Here is the result of my first upgrade attempt:

Code: Select all

[root@flex-dvt database]# cat cf_fver3
[root@flex-dvt database]# cat cf_fver2
[root@flex-dvt database]# cat cf_fver1
[root@flex-dvt database]# cat cf_fver0
[root@flex-dvt database]# cat cf_build
[root@flex-dvt database]# touch /database/ENABLE_SSH
[root@flex-dvt database]# cp /root/.ssh/authorized_keys /database/authorized_keys
[root@flex-dvt database]# sed -i 's/reboot/#reboot/g' /root/platform/*.sh
[root@flex-dvt database]# cp /var/www/set_dev_value.php /database/set_dev_value.php
[root@flex-dvt database]# /root/platform/upgrade.sh
Press enter to cancel update...
cat: can't open '/database/cf_url': No such file or directory
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0   575    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   575  100   575    0     0    992      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  1030
(23) Failed writing body
groupID not found. ##reboot into app.
END
Upgrade failed...

[/EDIT]

Jonesie

Postby Jonesie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Posted this in the "Upgrade to 00.86 maintaining" root thread, but thought I would add it here as well:

I had to add the DNS servers to my /etc/resolv.conf file and restart networking.

nano /etc/resolv.conf

Add the following lines to the top of the file:

nameserver 52.4.183.25
nameserver 52.0.103.131

Save and exit nano.

Restart networking.

/etc/init.d/S40network

Then start from Step #4.

CloneNum3
Site Admin

Postby CloneNum3 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:38 am

Jonesie wrote:Posted this in the "Upgrade to 00.86 maintaining" root thread, but thought I would add it here as well:

Thank you... did this work for you? I haven't had to mess with DNS on mine but I think others have.

Here's a copy/paste method for those who don't know how to use nano or other editors...

cp /etc/resolv.conf /database/resolv.conf.save
echo "nameserver 52.4.183.25" > /etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 52.0.103.131" >> /etc/resolv.conf

Line#1 makes a backup of the file
Line#2 overwrites the file with the one line
Line#3 appends another line

Jonesie

Postby Jonesie » Sat May 09, 2015 8:09 am

Yes, aside from the noted DNS changes, the instructions in the "Upgrade to 00.86 maintaining root" thread worked like a charm.

Thanks for all of your help (and the site)!

Jonesie

dgomel

Postby dgomel » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Dear all;
I bought sealed but old Wink. I rooted it and found that it's 00.01 version. Obvously having SSL cert problem. The workaround with nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf not works for me (already?).
Could you please recommend me a way to upgradethe hub?

nepto

Postby nepto » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:26 am

Not sure if someone still read this old thread, but here is an interesting model situation, which can still happen every now and then to certain Wink Hub users, who buy some old Wink Hub through eBay.

I bought used Wink Hub through eBay, and it stayed on yellow light. That means connected to Wi-Fi, but unable to reach Wink servers. This does not make a lot of sense, since several Wi-Fi networks where I have tried this have perfect Internet connection to everywhere.

After brief investigation I found this site and realized I can easily root Wink Hub a see what is going on inside. However so classy set_dev_value.php vulnerability/hack did not work for me, because Wink Hub was already upgraded to more secure version before. So this is no go.

Meanwhile I am e-mailing with customer support and asking them common questions whether my Wink Hub is clean (I bought it from eBay so you never know) and so on. Then all the sudden, for no apparent reason, they start offering free in-factory upgrade of my Wink Hub. They will even pay for shipping back and forth. This made me very suspicious -- why they would offer me free upgrade, when I can do upgrade by myself??

Well, I can't.

I found this interesting site http://hubfix.wink.com/ -- so on April 18, 2015 some really cool SNAFU has happened, and my Wink Hub is obviously affected by this. Not really sure how they managed to get into this terrible situation, but well bad things just happen.

As far as I understand the problem well, Wink Hub is unable to reach Wink servers due to problem in /etc/hosts or /etc/resolv.conf file (or somewhere else). All I found on the internet and in this thread as well was to set those nameservers on the router:

So Wink Hub can pick up certain DNS entries and connect where required. But this no longer works. Those IP addresses are no longer even alive. So this fix would not works.

Is here anyone who can give me detail abotu that SNAFU what happened over a year ago? And also what DNS entries my bricked Wink Hub needs, etc. I can trick my router(s) to do anything I want, I can resolve anything anywhere, including running fake webserver. Well, I am not going to have their SSL certs&keys, but other than that I can do anything.

I really do not want to ship this to factory. I want to fix it by myself (if possible). Thanks for any clue.

CloneNum3
Site Admin

Postby CloneNum3 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:09 pm

My understanding is that the original method had an SSL cert pair required to perform updates. Well, that cert expired and there was no alternate method to perform updates basically rendering the unit unable to perform updates through any reasonable method.

Return to “Upgrade to current firmware maintaining root”