Howto update to 01.01

bigmonkey70

Re: Howto update to 00.86

Postby bigmonkey70 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:19 am

I updated to 00.86 follow your instruction and still got root access. This is a brand new WinkHub that I got just hours before Wink stopped their sales. I followed your instruction and got rooted and manually upgraded to 00.86. I can ssh in no problem and manually added my router info via curl without any problem. I got the Wink back to blinking PINK status, I can see and connected to the WINK default ssid. Using the Wink apps to add the hub just sit and do nothing. It won't switch to the WINK ssid and timed out. I reset power the wink and still cannot add wink to the apps.
Is there a way to manually add the controller to the apps?

Thanks

bigmonkey70

Postby bigmonkey70 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:28 am

I got a brand new hub hours before Target pull all the hub off their shelves. I rooted and manually update the firmware to 00.86. I can ssh in and issued a curl command to connected to my router but the light won't turn blue. I got the wink back to blinking Pink status and try to connect via Winkapp, it just time out everytime doesn't matter what I did. Is there a way around it without sending to Wink and loose root?

thanks

bigmonkey70

Postby bigmonkey70 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:26 pm

is there a way to add hub manually to winkapp?

Jonesie

Postby Jonesie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:42 pm

I had to add the DNS servers to my /etc/resolv.conf file and restart networking.

Code: Select all

nano /etc/resolv.conf

Add the following lines to the top of the file:

nameserver 52.4.183.25
nameserver 52.0.103.131

Save and exit nano.

Restart networking.

/etc/init.d/S40network

Then start from Step #4.

JohnM

Re: Howto update to 00.86 - error step 4

Postby JohnM » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:59 am

Hi
I'm attempting to upgrade a new hub after following various instructions to root and maintain SSH. I have successfully rooted it, tried to connect unfortunately on the same day as Wink certificates expired. So following posts I'm trying to upgrade to 00.86 to install fix. However, I'm stuck on first step for upgrade. I've tried it twice, copying and pasting all of step 4, and also pasting line by line. Error occurs when I enter /root/platform/upgrade.sh.

#### 4. Update the updater filesystem to 00.08

touch /database/ENABLE_SSH
cp /root/.ssh/authorized_keys /database/authorized_keys
sed -i 's/reboot/#reboot/g' /root/platform/*.sh
cp /var/www/set_dev_value.php /database/set_dev_value.php # Save for later
/root/platform/upgrade.sh

As soon as I enter this I get an immediate error and solid red wink hub light. I'm new to all this and learning slowing any help would be appreciated. I didn't get past step 4#, I SSH into Putty via windows to excute the command and was not connected to internet but to the wink hub only.

Error msg -in file attachment but in case can't see :-
cat: can't open '/database/cf_url': No such file or directory
cat: can't open '/database/cf_fver0': No such file or directory
No valid version for part 0, set to 00.00
cat: can't open '/database/cf_fver1': No such file or directory
No valid version for part 1, set to 00.00
cat: can't open '/database/cf_fver2': No such file or directory
No valid version for part 2, set to 00.00
cat: can't open '/database/cf_fver3': No such file or directory
No valid version for part 3, set to 00.00
Exiting, name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3) 1 Jan 00:49:03 ntpupdate [13442]: name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3)
Exiting, name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3) 1 Jan 00:49:04 ntpupdate [13448]: name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3)
Exiting, name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3) 1 Jan 00:49:04 ntpupdate [13455]: name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3)
unable to set date
END

CloneNum3
Site Admin

Postby CloneNum3 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:25 am

JohnM wrote:Exiting, name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3) 1 Jan 00:49:04 ntpupdate [13455]: name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3)

JohnM,

What modifications have you made with respect to DNS up to now?

If you've made changes to your home router, can you still browse to websites you have never browsed to? cnn.com, asdf.com, etc?

I did not have to make any modifications to my hub but mine may have been in a different state than yours.

You can try doing the following (untested as I do not have a hub in your situation)

I suggest copy/paste... first line makes a backup of your existing file, second one overwrites the active file.

cp /etc/resolv.conf /database/resolv.conf.save
echo "nameserver 52.4.183.25" > /etc/resolv.conf

This will tell the hub to use the dns server described at http://recovery.wink.com/

Then try the update again.

Please post your results as others will likely want to know too.

-Clonenum3

CloneNum3
Site Admin

Postby CloneNum3 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:26 am

bigmonkey70 wrote:is there a way to add hub manually to winkapp?

Not that I am aware of. The app talks to the API which is listed as "Major Outage" at http://status.winkapp.com/

CloneNum3
Site Admin

Postby CloneNum3 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:30 am

bigmonkey70 wrote:I got a brand new hub hours before Target pull all the hub off their shelves. I rooted and manually update the firmware to 00.86. I can ssh in and issued a curl command to connected to my router but the light won't turn blue. I got the wink back to blinking Pink status and try to connect via Winkapp, it just time out everytime doesn't matter what I did. Is there a way around it without sending to Wink and loose root?

thanks

Wink, to the best of my knowledge, is still recovering from their mess... if you have root, I would suggest just holding tight. In the meantime, you can play with adding/removing/controlling devices directly via SSH.

I would try to add the hub in the app again after http://status.winkapp.com/ reports "Wink Hub API" to be "Operational" again.

CloneNum3
Site Admin

Postby CloneNum3 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:33 am

bigmonkey70 wrote:I updated to 00.86 follow your instruction and still got root access. This is a brand new WinkHub that I got just hours before Wink stopped their sales. I followed your instruction and got rooted and manually upgraded to 00.86. I can ssh in no problem and manually added my router info via curl without any problem. I got the Wink back to blinking PINK status, I can see and connected to the WINK default ssid. Using the Wink apps to add the hub just sit and do nothing. It won't switch to the WINK ssid and timed out. I reset power the wink and still cannot add wink to the apps.
Is there a way to manually add the controller to the apps?

Thanks

It's hard to say when it will allow you to re-add the hub to the app. In the meantime, you can at least get it from blinking purple (not connected to your home network) to the yellow/orange (connected to your home network but not communicating with the Wink API)

From ssh, run the following replacing myssid and mypassword with your home network's ssid and password

curl "http://192.168.0.1/index.php" -d '{"ssid":"myssid","pass":"mypassword"}'

JohnM

Postby JohnM » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:25 pm

CloneNum3 wrote:What modifications have you made with respect to DNS up to now?

I haven't made any changes DNS on the hub.

CloneNum3 wrote: If you've made changes to your home router, can you still browse to websites you have never browsed to? cnn.com, asdf.com, etc?

No changes, my ISP has blocked all access to changing DNS setting in router.

Tried to add the DNS settings as requested, but when I ran
CloneNum3 wrote:cp /etc/resolv.conf /database/resolv.conf.save
echo "nameserver 52.4.183.25" > /etc/resolv.conf

- the following occurred: -
[root@flex-dvt ~]# cp /etc/resolv.conf /database/resolv.conf.save
cp: can't stat '/etc/resolv.conf': No such file or directory
[root@flex-dvt ~]# echo "nameserver 52.4.183.25" > /etc/resolv.conf

When I tried to run the update again, same error occurred.
cat: can't open '/database/cf_url': No such file or directory
cat: can't open '/database/cf_fver0': No such file or directory
No valid version for part 0, set to 00.00
cat: can't open '/database/cf_fver1': No such file or directory
No valid version for part 1, set to 00.00
cat: can't open '/database/cf_fver2': No such file or directory
No valid version for part 2, set to 00.00
cat: can't open '/database/cf_fver3': No such file or directory
No valid version for part 3, set to 00.00
Exiting, name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3) 1 Jan 00:11:58 ntpdate[4152]: name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3)
Exiting, name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3) 1 Jan 00:11:58 ntpdate[4159]: name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3)
Exiting, name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3) 1 Jan 00:11:58 ntpdate[4165]: name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3)
unable to set date.
END

I also tried editing the resolv.conf file directly adding the second nameserver as
nameserver 52.4.183.25
nameserver 52.0.103.131

But same error occurs. Any further help appreciated. Thanks

Return to “Upgrade to current firmware maintaining root”